Config and INI files
.ini versus .config
The SuperOffice Web client uses web.config to specify database connection details. SuperOffice Windows client uses superoffice.config, in addition to superoffice.ini.
superoffice.config is a NetServer config file in the same place as superoffice.ini (also found in the same way, if you come in via COM).
The database user and password are stored in superoffice.config - encrypted and set by the MSI installer.
ODBC data source and archive path are taken from superoffice.ini automatically. The superoffice.config file doesn't need to specify the database server/type unless the ODBC source is non-standard.
The SERVER and DATABASE are dictated by the ODBC source in the superoffice.ini file. We look up in the Registry and transfer database and server settings to NetServer (not superoffice.config, but directly to NetServer without writing to the .config file).
The database user and password go the other way, from superoffice.config to both NetServer and the C++ code.
How to find SuperOffice.ini
To find the configuration file for SuperOffice (SuperOffice.ini), right-click the SuperOffice icon on the desktop or in the start-menu, and choose Properties.
In the window that opens up click Open File Location. A file explorer window will open and you will see the SuperOffice program files.
Find the file SuperOffice.ini, and open this file.
SOUser.ini Used by SOCRM.exe, SOAdmin.exe, and ReporterStudio.exe
SuperOffice.config Used by SOCRM.exe, SOAdmin.exe and ReporterStudio.exe
Command line switches for SOCRM.exe, SOAdmin.exe
Outlook Mail Link
- ServerSetup encrypts and saves the database credentials in an MST file.
- Client setup extracts the credentials and stores them in the local .config file
- NetServer decrypts these credentials on behalf of the Windows client.
- ServerSetup also creates a system user with the same credentials, giving that username a dual role.
The same credentials are used to access NetServer Web Services.
The following steps are recommended to increase security:
- Deactivate the default system user in the SoAdmin client.
- Create a new pair of database and system users specifically for Sales and Marketing Web and Service.